BTSCRP-10: E-scooter Safety: Issues and Solutions
This $490K project, sponsored by the Behavioral Traffic Safety Cooperative Research Program (BTSCRP), seeks to advance multimodal road safety by identifying safety risks emerging from the growing use of e-scooters and developing comprehensive guidance, tools, policy options, and educational materials to mitigate those risks.
The project is expected to generate concrete guidance for e-scooter management, along with a report that will 1) describe the state of use/exposure and safety trends among e-scooter users and markets; 2) identify contributing factors (both behavioral and environmental) to safety risks; and 3) summarize how cities are working to support, manage, and/or regulate the use of e-scooters to prevent and mitigate injuries and provide a series of case studies highlighting real world practices. The research and guidance will provide evidence-based strategies and supporting tools for e-scooter safety actions that can be integrated into state and local highway safety plans, policies, programs, and projects.
Project Team Details
- UNC Highway Safety Research Center (UNC HSRC)
- UNC-CH’s Department of City and Regional Planning (DCRP)
- University of Tennessee at Knoxville (UTK)
- Rebecca Sanders of Safe Streets Research & Consulting
- Charles T. Brown of Equitable Cities
The project kicked off in June 2020. An Interim Report was submitted to the panel in June 2021.
A Research Results Digest (RRD) presenting results from Phase I was published in September 2022. The digest identifies emerging behavioral safety issues arising from the expanding use of e-scooters and summarizes how communities are working to prevent and mitigate injuries.
The project is currently in Phase II, which involves collecting additional data for research and developing draft deliverables. The project is on schedule to be completed by the end of 2022.
- Research Results Digest “E-Scooter Safety: Issues and Solutions”
- See this project overview presentation, presented to the Transportation Research Board in January 2021.
- NCHRP project page: https://apps.trb.org/cmsfeed/TRBNetProjectDisplay.asp?ProjectID=4793
- Related e-scooter research at UNC: https://www.roadsafety.unc.edu/research/projects/2019r26/