BTSCRP-10: E-scooter Safety: Issues and Solutions
This $490K project, sponsored by the Behavioral Traffic Safety Cooperative Research Program (BTSCRP), seeks to advance multimodal road safety by identifying safety risks emerging from the growing use of e-scooters and developing comprehensive guidance, tools, policy options, and educational materials to mitigate those risks.
The project is expected to generate concrete guidance for e-scooter management, along with a report that will 1) describe the state of use/exposure and safety trends among e-scooter users and markets; 2) identify contributing factors (both behavioral and environmental) to safety risks; and 3) summarize how cities are working to support, manage, and/or regulate the use of e-scooters to prevent and mitigate injuries and provide a series of case studies highlighting real world practices. The research and guidance will provide evidence-based strategies and supporting tools for e-scooter safety actions that can be integrated into state and local highway safety plans, policies, programs, and projects.
Project Team Details
- UNC Highway Safety Research Center (UNC HSRC)
- UNC-CH’s Department of City and Regional Planning (DCRP)
- University of Tennessee at Knoxville (UTK)
- Rebecca Sanders of Safe Streets Research & Consulting
- Charles T. Brown of Equitable Cities
The project kicked off in June 2020. The project is currently in Phase I, which involves performing a literature review and engaging stakeholders via a survey and interviews regarding e-scooter issues and research needs. The practitioner survey is live through April 15, 2021.
In this survey, the project team is seeking input on existing safety practices and programs as well as key gaps in knowledge and data related to e-scooter safety. This survey takes about 8 to 15 minutes in length. Your participation is entirely voluntary, and you may stop taking the survey at any time. The information you provide will not be identifiable and the records will be kept private. You are also encouraged to share this survey link with others working on e-scooter or programs or projects; multiple people from the same organization may complete the survey.
- See this project overview presentation, presented to the Transportation Research Board in January 2021.
- NCHRP project page: https://apps.trb.org/cmsfeed/TRBNetProjectDisplay.asp?ProjectID=4793
- Related e-scooter research at UNC: https://www.roadsafety.unc.edu/research/projects/2019r26/