Bicycle Safety and Access
Learn about the most important safe riding techniques and driving strategies that will make the roads safer for everyone. Includes a series of safety tips for bicyclists of all ages as well as tips for motorists.
- Allows users to effectively select and review possible engineering, education, or enforcement treatments to improve bicyclist safety
- Provides transportation decision makers with guidelines to evaluate the projected costs and benefits of bicycle-facility investments
- Pedestrian and Bicycle Information Center
Clearinghouse of pedestrian and bicycle information about health and safety, engineering, advocacy, education, enforcement and access and mobility
- Provides a comprehensive resource on walking, including information on recent bicycle research, safety tips and types of bicycle crashes
- North Carolina Bicycle & Pedestrian Crashes
- An online query tool that allows users to view police-reported bicycle and pedestrian crash data from North Carolina.
- Bicycle Helmets
- Most bicycling deaths result from head injury. Wearing a bicycle helmet reduces the overall risk of head injuries by 85 percent. HSRC researchers have conducted observational surveys to determine the rate of helmet use in North Carolina and to evaluate the effects of a comprehensive helmet use law in British Columbia.
- Roadway Design for Bicyclists
- For many years, transportation engineering trends focused on designing for four wheels instead of two. View a comprehensive resource on design and engineering tools that promote bikeability.
- National Bicycling and Walking Study
- This US Department of Transportation released 10-year Status Report is an update of the 5-year Status Report released in 1999. It's goals are to: (1) Double the percent of trips made by bicycling and walking and (2) reduce by ten percent the number of fatalities and injuries by pedestrians and bicyclists.
- Bikeability Checklist
- How bikeable is your community? The Bikeability Checklist can help you find the answer. Inside you'll find insightful questions, allowing you to evaluate your neighborhood's bikeability.