"In order to improve safety by significantly reducing the number of fatalities and injuries to the citizens and visitors of this state; this Committee will provide the leadership to establish and maintain a level of coordination, communication and cooperation between agencies and stakeholders to maximize utilization; improve functionality; improve data accuracy, timeliness and linkages; advance electronic data collection; protect privacy; minimize redundancies in traffic records systems, and better accomplish individual agencies' goals."
To provide accurate and complete traffic records data in a timely manner that protects the privacy of citizens; to provide the environment where collaboration, data and resource sharing occurs naturally; and to identify success by measuring results, ultimately leading to a reduction in traffic fatalities, injuries, and crashes.
Role and functions of NC’s TRCC include:
- Provide for coordination, cooperation, and collaboration of agency activities that could effect or improve the state traffic safety data or systems while ensuring the protection of confidential information.
- Prepare, update, and maintain NC’s TRCC Implementation and Progress Guide and to provide a plan for the implementation of traffic safety systems and data improvements.
- Recommend and provide strategies to NC’s Executive Committee for Highway Safety for endorsement and action.
- Develop interagency project teams to develop implementation plans for carrying out the objectives of the guide as necessary.
- Provide a forum for review and endorsement of programs, regulations, projects and methodologies to implement the improvements identified in the implementation guide.
- Review programs, regulations, projects, and methodologies for agreement with the TRCC's mission and goals.
- Provide coordination for programs, projects, and regulations as they become operational.
- Receive periodic updates from the project teams.
- Endorse and/or implement projects to achieve quality traffic safety data from state traffic records systems.
- Encourage and provide for the sharing of data amongst all members, owners, users and collectors and collaborate on interagency projects.
- Provide for adequate communication and review between members of all changes or modifications to systems, regulations, collection procedures, or usage and analysis needs.
- Support electronic data collection for all types of data including crash, roadway (including volume and asset management), vehicle, driver, medical, and citation or adjudication data.
- Simplify all data collection whenever possible for any record. Increase automation and only collect data necessary from field efforts.
- Encourage and provide for the marketing of traffic safety information to increase public and political awareness of its necessity for decision making, resource allocation, and importance in improving quality of life.